Sunday 3 March 2013

Flourless/Sugarless Coconut Pancakes



In my mind, pancakes are inextricably linked with the weekend.

I've been doing some late night cooking experiments with the ingredients I have on hand, and I think I may have come up with a pancake recipe that'll earn you some brownie points with your humanoid companion drone next weekend. Especially if they're avoiding sugar and flour.

This one is also gluten free.


You'll need:

  • 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1 cup cream
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • Dash of vanilla
  • 1/4 cup Natvia
  • pinch of salt
This will make about 10 large pancakes.

Option: Add a tablespoon of cocoa, ginger, or cinnamon to the mix to flavour your pancakes.
This is especially helpful if you're sensitive to the flavour of egg that may come through in this recipe. I've found it's not so much of a problem if you use good, fresh free range eggs.


How to earn love through food:


I was starting at a real disadvantage here. I haven't made pancakes in a very, very long time, and I don't recall not making a complete hash of them then, either.

Mix all the dry ingredients (coconut, almond meal, baking powder, Natvia, optional cocoa or cinnamon) and then add the liquidy ones (eggs, cream, vanilla). Combine with a whisk.

I would recommend putting this mixture into something with a pouring spout. It's way easier.



Over a medium heat, grease your pan with spray-on oil. If you're feeling decadent, you could use butter.

Pour batter into the pan according to the size of pancakes you want. Don't expect your pancake to be perfectly round like the "normal" kind. I think it's the coconut that slightly distorts the edges.

You'll know you can flip it when those telltale small bubbles appear, and the edges hold together when you try and coax the spatula underneath. It helps if you lightly grease the top of your spatula, too.

I think my stove was installed on a slight lean...


When you flip it, the underside should be nice and browned. I think perhaps a bit browner than your regular pancake. I'm not sure why. It could just be my stove, but it could also be the lack of flour.

Now add it to the stack, and repeat until you've used all the batter.


Carb Count:

An entire batch will have approximately 30g carbohydrate. Divide that by the amount of people you're sharing with.

Much better than the near 250g you'll find in supermarket instant pancake mixes!

As for calories, the entire batch has 1620. The supermarket stuff has about 1200. Make of that what you will. I don't know an awful lot about calorie counting.






Serve with whatever low carb goodies you like. We like a dash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of Natvia on ours. A handful of berries might be nice too.

You can get Queen sugar-free maple flavoured syrup in Coles, with the other maple syrups. It's a bit hard to spot the sugar free claim on the label, so just look for the round bottle with the red plastic nozzle.

Happy breakfasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment